After analyzing the data I have selected the top three 2016 cars for Uber and Lyft drivers.
To my surprise, none are Prius!
Toyota did not make a plug-in Prius for the U.S. in 2016. The new Prius is more fuel efficient than last year’s, and still a great car, but the back seat is still not roomy.
Buying a new car for Uber and Lyft may not be the most economical, but the benefits are that the car will be under warranty, should have less maintenance costs and will have the newest safety features. Plus you can more easily pick the color and trim level that you like.
If you want a better price, consider buying a 3 year old certified used vehicle that has just been returned from it’s lease.
Best price with good back seat room
The best price vehicles are not hybrids so they are not the most fuel efficient. However, for part time drivers, sometimes car cost is more important than fuel efficiency.
Honda Fit (not allowed in NY)
- 39.3 inch rear leg room
- 33 city / 41 highway / 36 combined
- Excellent side view mirror (has camera)
- Multi-angle rear view camera
New York does not allow subcompact TNC (Transportation Network Company) vehicles, probably because most subcompacts do not have good passenger room. Even through the Fit does have good passenger room, it is still not allowed in New York.
Chevy Cruze, smaller back seat and less fuel efficiency, but is allowed in New York.
- 35.4 inch rear leg room
- 28 city / 42 highway / 33 combined
- 10 airbags
- OnStar equipped
Most fuel efficient with roomy back seat
Chevy Malibu Hybrid
- 48 City / 37 Highway / 47 Combined
- 38.1 inch rear leg room
- 10 Airbags
- OnStar equipped
Toyota Camry Hybrid, less fuel efficient, lower price, a little more rear leg room
- 43 city / 39 highway / 41 combined
- 38.9 inch rear leg room
Honorable mentions continued
Ford Fusion Energi Plug-in
- $33,900 and qualifies for $4,007 federal tax credit
- 15 to 20 mile all electric range
- 40 city / 36 highway / 43 combined / 100 MPGe
- 38.3 inch rear leg room
Top fuel efficiency with good rear legroom
Ford C-Max Energi Plug-in
- $31,770 and qualifies for $4,007 federal tax credit
- 19 mile range electric range
- 88 MPGe
- 40 city / 36 highway / 38 combined
Prius Two Eco
- 58 city / 53 highway / 56 MPG combined
- 33.4 inch rear leg room